The John Deere Model "B"
In the 1930's the American farmer was in a struggle
to complete task's almost to the point that he didn't have the
energy to perform. The opportunity before him reached out to all
sides and still a limited amount of financing fenced him in. The
horse, which was still the main farm power, only had one gear
and the same power it was born with thousands of years ago. It
also was a tool that needed rest after so many hours of work,
not to mention the man that followed it on foot. So, there was
definitely a need to modify the means of tilling and planting,
whether it be on the eastern shore, the mountainous regions of
the Appalachians, the plains, the west coast or wherever sod needed
to be turned, the Americian farmer was ready for the inventor
to come to his aid. Already, the blast furnaces were producing
iron for factories to make tractors of all kinds which time, patience,
and ingenuity was well on the way to help the farmers work a lot
easier and faster.
The famous "row crop" John Deere Model
"A", introduced in 1934, was the rage among farmers
but considered to be on the big side of some small farms that
dotted the landscape of the hill country both far and yond. The
John Deere Company's top brass had considered the making of a
smaller "row crop" tractor, to go with the same pattern
as the Model "A" when it was designed, and in 1933 a
prototype, or experimental as they called it, the HX was built
almost exactly as the bigger Model "AA" only 1/3 smaller
in all ways. It had 9 HP, a four speed transmission, PTO as standard
equipment and it could be ordered with either steel or rubber
tires. It was supposed to take the place of six horses and needless
to say didn't need to stop to rest. Even though it had a hard
steel pan seat it was better than walking behind a horse all day
long. Now he still had energy left at the end of the day to milk
the cows, relieving the woman of some choir duty. At the beginning
of production of the model "B" it had 11.84 HP on the
drawbar and 16.01 belt HP.
As with all machines, the Model "B" tractor
would have a large list of modification added as the serial numbers
increased. At number 3043 the four bolts that held, or didn't
hold, the front pedestal in place was increased to eight bolts.
The Model "A" went through the same treatment at about
the same time and for the same reason. The first of the "B"
line tractors had shudder curtains made of canvas that rolled
up and down to maintain water temperature. They were rolled down
in cold weather so the engine would heat up for better preformance.
Also we must remember that these tractors were all-fuel, which
means that they started on gasoline and then were switched over
to kerosene or distalate when it got warm enough to run on those.
With nothing over the radiator it just wouldn't get hot enough
to run on anything but gasoline and the gasoline tank was the
small one gallon tank to the rear. That is why almost everybody
filled the big tank with gasoline in the winter. Forget the problem
of stalling with a carburetor full of kerosene. At number 34952
the curtain was replaced with manual metal shudders and guard.
From the very first it was invisioned that this
tractor would make it's place with the vegetable farmers in a
big way, with it size and weight. So, a wide variation of concepts,
to axles, wheels and heights were offered and became just what
the doctor ordered for all the lettuce, onion and beet people
out there. They had one wide front axle with six different (BW-40)
arrangments. The outer sections could be changed to six different
arrangements without changing the center section.
In 1937 one more inovation came to the Model "B" tractor
that had plagued it to this point. It seems there was only one cultivator
made to fit both the Model"A" and the Model "B"
. Unfortunately the cultivator was made to fit the Model "A".
When installed on the Model "B", not enough room to clear
the rear tires when raised to the high position. Therefore, everybody
had to transport with those cultivator shovels only just clearing
the ground. When going over uneven ground they dug into the earth,
making many furrows in the mothers yard. Finally one day it must
have happened to one of the engineers at John Deere because (number
42200) it was lenghtened 5 inches and became known as the long hood
or long nose "B". Since they only made the long ones for
two years, not as many of those are around, which makes them more
valuable to collectors. I have one of those, a 1938.
These tractors were only hand crank by the flywheel,
and could be ordered with or without rock shafts to raise and lower implements with hydraulic
power. Without the rockshaft attachment, it was know as a ,"flatback"
In 1939 Henry Dreyfuss gave it the styled effect that
the Model "A" received. It then could be ordered with electric start and lights. 1941 changed the 4-speed to the
six speed two lever design. 1947 gave it the box seat with cushions,
the steering pedistal redesign, power-trol, six speed with one gear
lever, external hydrulic cylinder to operate remotely, pressed steel
frame rails replaced the cast iron ones and the cyclone engine with
increased horse power. 1949 gave it the John Deere exclusive, patented, optional,
roll-a-matic front wheel design. Boy did that save a lot of busted
knuckles and broken wrist when crossing the plow furrow. The 1952
Korean War brought a shortage of copper and the radiator had to
be made of steel, which caused a heating problem. In 1952, with serial number
306600, a water pump was installed.
- 1935-1938 (unstyled)
Serial numbers --1000-59999
Bore & Stroke---4.25 x 5.25
HP--Drawbar---11.84--------- Nebraska Testing-- ------PTO------16.01
Price on steel----$750.00
Bore & Stroke---4.50 x 5.50
Serial numbers--201000 -310775
Bore & Stroke---4.8675 x 5.50
HP--Drawbar---24.62 --------Nebraska Testing---------PTO------27.58
Note: Cut hood - This is when the farmer decided
to install a new muffler without removing the hood and simply cut
enough of the hood away to get to the bolts that hold the muffler.
Note: They say there are a few of those styled "B's"
out there that were made in 1938. Personally, I have never seen
Note: The first styled "A's"and
"B's" that were ordered with rubber tires in 1939, had
factory flat spoke rear wheels, but only were produced until early 1940
when only round spoke wheels were available thereafter until only pressed steel wheels replaced them and then came the cast steel wheel centers where either steel or cast could be ordered until 1946 .