The John Deere Company was looking to incorperate it's lower
end models into one group of tractors with interchangable parts
and less labor intensive manufacturing. It was a process of undoing
a lot of what had evolved over many years of venturing into different
areas of the tractor market that lead them in different direction
of tractor manufacturing which was now an overlapping of tractor's.
The "L" line, which includes the "Y" and
the "62" models, ran from 1937 to 1946 and was in the
10 to 14hp range, the "BO", BR, BI and the BO-L, a totally
different configuration altogether which ran from 1935 to 1938,
in the 12 to 16hp range, all these ended before styling, and the
"H", similar situation, with a production run from 1937
to 1947, in the 12 to 15hp range. All these had a run span about
the same. It was their intention to produce a totally new design
that would cover all these different tractors with only one tractor
type and have different versions of that type to bring them back
into the different markets.
A totally new factory was built in Dubuque Iowa where research
was already under way on this idea. This first experimental was
called the model 69. This whole launching into a new and particular
area was on account of that guy named, Henry Ford, which had sewed
up 70% of the tractor market in the USA, and it was even more
in foreign countries. He was a thorn in the side of John Deere
and something had to be done.
The first "M"'s came off the line in March of 1947
and sported an upright two clyinder, overhead valve motor, a 4-speed
transmission and touch-a-matic hydraulics, allowing precise control.
It was a single row cultivating machine and could pull a two bottom
plow. The last one to come off the line was serial number 55799
in September 1952
The "MT" was of the same tractor, meaning it had the
same motor, transmission and all the main features of the "M".
However this was a tricycle model with narrow front end and larger
rear wheels. It was a two row cultivating tractor and pulled a
two bottom plow. It had dual touch-a-matic with split rockshafts
that could raise each side of the cultivators seperately. It could
be ordered with a single front wheel or wide front end.
The "MI" (industrial) was basically the same tractor
as the "M" except it had a stronger front axle and painted
The "MC" was the crawler version derived from the "BO"
Linderman built in Yakama Washington. Production was stopped on
the "BO-L" in 1949 and the transformation to the "MC"
began then. Drive trains from the Dubuque plant were shipped to
Yakama for assembly for west coast markets and track units were
shipped from Yakama to Duduque for assenbly for the rest of the
USA, for a short period of time, and then everything was manufactured
in Duduque ever afterwards. The "MC" soon became very
popular with many different markets. It was originally built,
as the "BO-L", with the orchard market in the northwest
in mind. It soon, however, found it's way into the logging, farming
and housing industries. It was well suited to smaller dozing jobs
and building logging roads. The first "MC's" had the
same track frames as the "BO-L" tractors. It soon became
apparent that improvements would have to made. Soon a four roller
track frame was introduced and molded track shoes instead of the
pressed steel pads. Different arrangements of blade configurations
were made available to suit different needs.
See picture of the "M"
Specs on the "M"
Drawbar hp---------- 18.15
Belt Pulley ----------- 20.45